Knives are a vital part of the prepper lifestyle and an important part of any prepper emergency kit, and it’s very important to stay safe while you’re using this tool. Below, we’ve outlined a few ways to use knives safely.
Knife Usage Safety Tips
- Never point a knife or its edge toward yourself or anyone you do not want to harm. It may seem cliche but accidents occur as a result of improperly pointed knives all too often. Also don’t move your knife erratically, especially if it’s a large sword or machete.
- Make sure that every knife you use is sharp. A dull knife is dangerous and nearly forces the one holding it to improperly use it.
- Always keep the material you are working on directly in front of you and know who may walk from behind you and next to you.
- Don’t try to catch a knife when dropped. Make sure your hands are dry to avoid slips when utilizing the knife.
- Sheath or put your knife away when not in use, particularly if there are small children around. It goes without saying that children and sharp objects are not a good combination.
- Use the proper knife for the job. You’re not going to need a machete to cut your food, and by the same token you wouldn’t use a tiny knife to cut your way through vines or weeds.
- Keep your knife properly cleaned. In the event you do accidentally cut yourself, the last thing you want is an infection resulting from a dirty knife.
These are a few ways to keep yourself and others safe while utilizing knives. If you have other ways you can share, please do so in the comments or on social networks!