The Sport may look like a plain black box, but looks can be deceiving. Years of engineering experience and testing went into designing the Sport’s base, boosting its functionality on multiple levels.
Weighing 9 pounds and measuring 12 ¼” high by 27 ¼” long by 17” wide, the Solavore™ Sport solar oven is lightweight and portable. Oven temperatures typically range from 210º – 260º F, maxing out at 300º F. In other words, hot enough for slow-cooked goodness (food cooks starting at 180º F) but not hot enough to burn dinner. It simmers like a crock pot and bakes like an oven.
The Sport comes with a pair of 9-inch covered, black, graniteware cooking pots and optional reflectors for concentrating sunlight under less-than-ideal solar conditions, such as when trees or clouds partially block the sun. As a rule of thumb, cooking time is twice as long as conventional methods, with an additional half hour for the solar oven to preheat.
Thanks to its rectangular footprint, the Sport is one of the only solar ovens large enough to hold two pots at once, a boon for cooks across cultures.
The broad footprint and low center of gravity make it aerodynamically and physically stable, preventing tip-over due to high winds or rambunctious kids.
The Sport is designed to cook at a 30-degree slant for direct, overhead summertime sun. When placed on its side, the angle increases to 60 degrees for capturing lower-angled winter sun.
Solar Oven Base
Designed to be lightweight and durable, the Sport’s one-piece base is made from injection-molded resin under 1,000 tons of pressure. It has been reinforced with glass fibers to prevent heat degradation and crushing. A black, powder-coated aluminum liner soaks up sunlight, converting it to heat energy for cooking.
Heat retention is critical for performance. With an R-value of 6.5, the Sport leads the solar-oven market in insulation. Its one-inch-thick layer of rigid foam, sandwiched between liner and base, is impervious to water, thanks to thousands of tiny, sealed, air holes—a key design feature since solar cooking generates steam and humidity.
Solar Oven Lid
A clear, double-layer insulated lid helps the oven retain heat while letting in maximum sunlight. Made from a durable vacuum-formed polymer, it features a snug-fitting lip (held fast by metal clips) and a layer of solar film to create the one-inch insulating air layer.
- Housing is made from rugged nylon plastic for weatherability and durability. No BPA’s.
- It’s tough but light, only 9 pounds.
- Insulation is one inch closed-cell foam, does not absorb moisture.
- The lid’s double layer creates dead air space for enhanced insulation.
- The oven holds two 10-inch pots (included) or your favorite lasagna pan!
- The floor dimension of the oven is 9 1/4 inches x 17 1/2 inches- yes, you can bake cookies!
- All oven components are made in the USA.
- Uses no fossil fuel – only the free energy of the sun.
Each Solavore Sport Solar Oven comes with:
- two granite ware pots (3 quarts each) with lids
- oven thermometer
- water pasteurization indicator (WAPI)
- user manual with quick-start solar cooking recipes
- optional detachable reflector – TR-86 High Performance Reflector