Orders/More Info: CALL | EMAIL
There are multiple reasons for owning a pet, but one reason that’s usually always glossed over is preparation. Pets — dogs in particular — can act as alarm systems as well as assist with self defense when needed. There are also dogs that assist those with disabilities and can act as a friend to help keep you sane if you’re going the survival route alone.
It’s quite common, actually. The Humane Society showed in 2012 that 33 percent of all households in the United States own at least one cat, while 39 percent own at least one dog. That’s a pretty high number, so it’s not surprising, then, that preppers will want to make sure their fluffy family members are every bit as prepared as they are.
Even so, it’s important to go some extra steps when preparing for your pets by gathering any items you need for various scenarios, in addition to the survival kits mentioned above.
- As many days’ worth of canned (pop-top) or dry food. Follow the same supply rules as you do with your own food supply such as length of time, supply circulation, etc.
- Disposable litter trays if applicable as well as litter.
- Liquid dish soap and disinfectant
- Disposable garbage bags for any necessary clean-up. Not necessary if you’re bugging out in the wilderness.
- Pet food dishes
- Extra collar or harness as well as an extra leash
- Photocopies of medical records and a waterproof container with a two-week supply of any medicine your pet requires. Rotate medicines the same as food so your pet doesn’t get expired medications.
- Bottled water. Like food, follow the same supply rules you have for yourself, including desalination for supply replenishment where applicable.
- A traveling bag, crate or sturdy carrier for each pet.
- Blankets or any comfortable, warm bedding your pet may need. These can be easily stored, but may be difficult to replace.
Other things you may also want to consider are choosing an appropriate guardian for your pet in case something happens to you. Other considerations you’ll want to keep in mind are geographical and psychological in nature for your pet. Let us know how you’re keeping your pet well prepared!
Orders/More Info: CALL | EMAIL (c)Copyright 2017 Well Prepared